Sunday, January 19, 2014

Comfort Zones

Whether it's finally finding that comfortable sleeping position, becoming comfortable with a new group of friends, or sitting in the most comfortable chair known to man, a Yogibo; we never like to think about leaving these "comfort zones" that we have found for ourselves.

 I am a huge addict of comfort zones! I never want to stray far from my normal routine and there are few instances that I can recall in which I have veered from my usual path. I just love being comfortable, both clothing wise and lifestyle wise, and there isn't anything wrong with that.
However, when I think about those times in which I did decide to do something out of my comfort zone, I realize how much fun I had and how greatly it has affected my life!

Some of these decisions included quitting Soccer after 11 years to pursue Color Guard, and that decision ultimately led to me joining the Spartans Drum and Bugle Corps in 2010. The last big comfort zone altering decision that I made was becoming an RA at my school. I am sure that I've made a few other decisions which drew me out of my comfort zone, but these three are the ones that I know have changed my life in the best way possible.


If you ever met me before I started Color Guard, you would've seen a girl who did not know a thing about make-up, a razor, or what a dress was. I was the ultimate tom-boy! I loved sports, wore my hair in a ponytail almost everyday, and when my Mom took me to the bra section at Target I would run away in embarrassment.

I didn't know how to be girly and trying to figure out how scared me a little. Yet for some reason when my sister started Color Guard, I wanted to trade in my cleats for a flag, show hair, and make-up. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

Transitioning from running soccer drills to learning dance positions and flag routines was one of the most awkward and challenging experiences of my life, but I don't regret a thing because I absolutely fell in love with the activity and I am still involved with it today.

I never knew how hot Summer could really be until I was running around and spinning a flag in the middle of a parking lot on a 98 degree day. My first year of Spartans was probably one of the most physically draining things I had ever done in my life, but by the end of the season I couldn't wait to go back for more. I ended up returning for three more years and now I am moving on to a World Class Drum Corps, the Bluecoats. 

Drum Corps is where I learned three values that I will carry with me for the rest of my life, respect, responsibility and commitment. Along with these values, I also gained some of the best friends in the world, and every time that I'm with them I think of how lucky I am to share such a close connection to a group of people.

I am still in the middle of my most recent comfort zone altering decision which was becoming an RA at my school. I don't have a lot to say about this so far because it's only been a couple of months, but  I really enjoy my position and I have met a lot of new people by taking on this role as a student leader. I am sure that I made a good decision, and I am eager to see what new things I will find out about myself through this experience.

I know that there are a lot more decisions that I am going to have to make which will greatly affect my many comfort zones, but thats life. It's full of twists and turns that will require us to make one big decision after another, and these decisions will provide us with many experiences that could either be good or bad. I will honestly say that I am both nervous and excited for some of the big decisions that I know are coming my way. But hey, you know how the saying goes. YOLO.

No comments:

Post a Comment